Thursday, August 27, 2009

Monument Design - Welsh Pavilion

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE POWERPOINT PRESENTATION TO VIEW!

Although earlier in the course I stated that I despised the “personal tributes to self” that some people chose to commemorate their life (the Dexter’s, etcetera), but it occurred to me that a monument or gravestone is just that--a tribute to self, rather, a tribute to one’s family. To that end, I created a modern work of architectural wonder to express what my family’s life means to me.

Behold Welsh Pavilion.

I incorporated many themes and ideas that I found appealing during my tenure at Spring Grove Cemetery. The personalization of the interior reflects my family’s interests and values. Many in our family enjoy reading, so I placed built-in bookshelves that are sealed from the elements, but can be opened to enjoy while visiting loved ones. In addition, we all LOVE to take pictures. Slate-bound photo albums while be stored in these shelves, too. The rear portico is meant to be “the memories porch.” While flipping through the photos or enjoying a classic piece of literature, we have a place to relax in peace with scenery unlike any other.

The upper interior, above the bookcases, will house the remains of our family. Sheathed in stainless steel, minimal care will be required to maintain the look of this modern mausoleum. Crypts will hold those who believe in traditional burial, while a cremation alcove will hold whatever urn our family member may desire.

Family is a very important value in the Welsh clan. Although many of us are doing many different things with conflicting schedules, we still find the time to get together and simply talk with each other. This mausoleum reflects those values so that we may extend them beyond this life. Clearly this is not the typical type of headstone, but it captures the essence of what Spring Grove Cemetery has taught me about what it is to live and what it means to die and be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment